Hi,

I was reading KIP-199 [1] for adding a tool for Kafka Connect offset
management. This would be a very useful functionality for users of the
Debezium CDC connectors, too.

What I was wondering, instead of having a separate tool for this, has it
been considered to expose offset management via the REST API of Connect?
There could be a resource /connectors/<connector-name>/offsets for read and
write access. In line with the current KIP, write access would only be
allowed if the connector is stopped. Exposing this in the REST API might
allow for a consistent experience with the other connector management
functionalities.

I'm not sure whether there are any guidelines on when to have some
functionality as a separate tool vs. in the API, but I thought I'd bring up
the idea and see what others think.

Thanks,

--Gunnar

[1]