Hi Gunnar,

I agree with you that the goal should be to implement offset management
capabilities in the rest interface. I believe Randall's intention with this
KIP was to lay the groundwork for accessing and changing offsets in Connect
and then build on that functionality once the changes necessary for that
groundwork are implemented.

That being said, I think the major changes for this to become possible will
be in the OffsetBackingStore and implementing classes, since as far as I
can tell these currently don't support retrieving all offsets for a
connector, but require a partition key to be passed in, which we do not
necessarily have available in all scenarios.
Adding in the rest endpoints and necessary functionality once these basic
changes are in place should be a fairly simple exercise and we could
consider adding them to the KIP to avoid unnecessary overhead in creating a
dedicated KIP for just the rest functionality.

Kind regards,
Sönke

--
Sönke Liebau