Hi all,

I started a discussion last year about bumping the version of the June 2018
release to 2.0.0[1]. To reiterate the reasons in the original post:

1. Adopt KIP-118 (Drop Support for Java 7), which requires a major version
bump due to semantic versioning.

2. Take the chance to remove deprecated code that was deprecated prior to
1.0.0, but not removed in 1.0.0 (e.g. old Scala clients) so that we can
move faster.

One concern that was raised is that we still do not have a rolling upgrade
path for the old ZK-based consumers. Since the Scala clients haven't been
updated in a long time (they don't support security or the latest message
format), users who need them can continue to use 1.1.0 with no loss of
functionality.

Since it's already mid-April and people seemed receptive during the
discussion last year, I'm going straight to a vote, but we can discuss more
if needed (of course).

Ismael

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/dd9d3e31d7e9590c1f727ef5560c933281bad0de3134469b7b3c4257@%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E