Ted,

I am also not sure what you mean by "Shouldn't the selection in header
have higher precedence over the configuration"? What selection do you
mean? And want configuration?

About the first point, I think this is actually a valid concern: To
address this issue, it seems that we would need to change the accepted
format of the config. Instead of "offset", "timestamp", "<header-key>",
we could replace the last one with "header=<header-key>".

WDYT?

-Matthias