Pardon the brevity in my previous reply.
I was talking about this bullet:

bq. When this configuration is set to anything other than "*offset*" or "
*timestamp*", then the record headers are scanned for a key matching this
value.

My point is that if matching key in the header is found, its value should
take precedence over the value of the configuration.
I understand that such interpretation may have slight performance cost.

Cheers