Hey Lucas,

Thanks much for the detailed documentation of the experiment.

Initially I also think having a separate queue for controller requests is
useful because, as you mentioned in the summary section of the Google doc,
controller requests are generally more important than data requests and we
probably want controller requests to be processed sooner. But then Eno has
two very good questions which I am not sure the Google doc has answered
explicitly. Could you help with the following questions?

1) It is not very clear what is the actual benefit of KIP-291 to users. The
experiment setup in the Google doc simulates the scenario that broker is
very slow handling ProduceRequest due to e.g. slow disk. It currently
assumes that there is only 1 partition. But in the common scenario, it is
probably reasonable to assume that there are many other partitions that are
also actively produced to and ProduceRequest to these partition also takes
e.g. 2 seconds to be processed. So even if broker0 can become follower for
the partition 0 soon, it probably still needs to process the ProduceRequest
slowly t in the queue because these ProduceRequests cover other partitions.
Thus most ProduceRequest will still timeout after 30 seconds and most
clients will still likely timeout after 30 seconds. Then it is not
obviously what is the benefit to client since client will timeout after 30
seconds before possibly re-connecting to broker1, with or without KIP-291.
Did I miss something here?

2) I guess Eno's is asking for the specific benefits of this KIP to user or
system administrator, e.g. whether this KIP decreases average latency,
999th percentile latency, probably of exception exposed to client etc. It
is probably useful to clarify this.

3) Does this KIP help improve user experience only when there is issue with
broker, e.g. significant backlog in the request queue due to slow disk as
described in the Google doc? Or is this KIP also useful when there is no
ongoing issue in the cluster? It might be helpful to clarify this to
understand the benefit of this KIP.

Thanks much,
Dong