Hey Jason,

Thanks for the KIP! I have some questions below.

The KIP defines "UnderSynchronized" as partitions which have an in-sync
replica set that is smaller than the topic's replication factor. Can you
clarify how we decide the topic's replication factor? Currently the
possible sources include the topic config znode, replica list in the topic
znode or the broker default config. The topic config znode will have
replication factor only if the replication factor differs from the default
broker config when the topic is created, right? Replica list in the topic
znode will expand during reassignment which is not useful for the purpose
of this KIP. The default replication factor in the broker may be changed
after the topic is created. If user increases default replication factor
from 3 to 4, would all topics be considered as `UnderSynchronized`?

The KIP proposes to use over-replicated partitions to track the progress of
a reassignment. Currently ReassignPartitionsCommand tracks the progress of
reassignment by looking at the reassignment znode. Is there concern with
still using this approach to track the progress of reassignment?

Thanks,
Dong