On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hey Ismael,
>
> Yeah, my initial inclination was to redefine URP as well. My only doubt was
> how it would affect existing tools which might depend on URPs to track the
> progress of a reassignment. I decided to be conservative in the end, but
> I'd reconsider if we think it is not a major concern. It is annoying to
> need a new category.

There are existing tools that use URP to track reassignment, but there are
many more tools that use URP for monitoring and alerting. If I understand
Ismael's suggestion correctly, a re-definition will improve the reliability
of the monitoring tools (since there won't be false alerts in case of
re-assignment) without having to switch to a new metric.

I think we should choose the proposal that improves the more common usage
of the metric, in this case, failure monitoring rather than reassignment.

--
*Gwen Shapira*
Product Manager | Confluent