On Tue, Sep 4, 2018, at 17:47, xiongqi wu wrote:
> Colin,
> Thank you for comments.
> see my inline reply below.
>
> Xiongqi (Wesley) Wu
>

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 5:24 PM Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Xiongqi,
> >
> > Thanks for this KIP.
> >
> > The name seems a bit ambiguous.  Our compaction policies are already
> > time-based, after all.  It seems like this change is focused around adding
> > a “max.compaction.lag.ms."  Perhaps the KIP title should be something
> > like "add maximum compaction lag time"?
> >
> > ==========> sure. I will change the title.
>
> > The active segment is forced to roll when either "max.compaction.lag.ms"
> > > or "segment.ms" (log.roll.ms and log.roll.hours) has reached.
> >
> > If the max.compaction.lag.ms is low, it seems like segments will be
> > rolled very frequently.  This can be a source of problems in the cluster,
> > since creating many different small log segments consumes a huge amount of
> > cluster resources.  Therefore, I would suggest adding a broker-level
> > configuration which allows us to set a minimum value for
> > max.compaction.lag.ms.  If we let users set it on a per-topic basis,
> > someone could set a value of 1 ms or something, and cause chaos.
> >
> > =========>  this applies to segment.ms as well. Today users can set "
> segment.ms" to a very low value, and cause a frequent rolling of active
> segments.

Hi Xiongqi,

I agree that this is an existing problem with segment.ms.  However, that
doesn't mean that we shouldn't fix it.  As you noted, there will be more
interest in these topic-level retention settings as a result of GDPR.  It seems
likely that pre-existing problems will cause more trouble.

The fix seems relatively straightforward here -- add a broker-level minimum
segment.ms that overrides per-topic minimums.  We can also fail with a helpful
error message when someone attempts to set an invalid configuration.

>  In my option, the minimum of "max.compaction.lag.ms" should be
> based on the minimum of "segment.ms".  Since today the minimum of segment.ms
> is 1, "max.compaction.lag.ms" also starts with 1.  "0" means disable.  I
> can use -1 as disable, but it is hard to define the meaning of 0 because we
> cannot just roll the active segment immediately.

That's a fair point.  We should make 0 = disable, to be consistent with the
other settings.

best,
Colin