Hi all,

I feel like the DISCUSS thread didn't really come to a conclusion, so a vote
would be premature here.

In particular, I still don't really understand the use-case for this feature.
Can someone give a concrete scenario where you would need this?  The control
plane / data plane example that is listed in the KIP doesn't require this
feature.  You can just have one consumer for the control plane, and one for the
data plane, and do priority that way.  The discussion feels kind of unfocused
since we haven't identified even one concrete use-case that needs this feature.

Unfortunately, this is a feature which consumes server-side memory.  We have to
store the priorities somehow when doing incremental fetch requests.  If we go
with an int as suggested, then this is at least 4 bytes per partition per
incremental fetch request.  It also makes it more complex and potentially
slower to maintain the linked list of partitions in the fetch requests.  Before
we think about this, I'd like to have a concrete use-case in mind, so that we
can evaluate the costs versus benefits.

best,
Colin