Hey Edurdo, thanks for the KIP!

I have some questions, apologies if they are naive:
Is this intended to work for a single producer use case only?
How would it work if two producers were producing to the same topic with
offsets?
How would it work if two producers, one with offsets and one without were
producing to a topic?
Does it make sense to *lock* the topic from other producers while there is
one that uses offsets?

Since we are tying the produce-with-offset request to the ACL, do we need
the `use_offset` field in the produce request? Maybe we make it mandatory
for produce requests with that ACL to have offsets.

Best,
Stanislav

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 5:14 PM Edoardo Comar <eco...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> we've opened a KIP to improve data replication between Kafka clusters :
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-391%3A+Allow+Producing+with+Offsets+for+Cluster+Replication
>
> We'd like to start a discussion, please post your feedback in this thread.
>
> Thank you
> Edo and Mickael

> Edoardo Comar
>
> IBM Event Streams