Hi Stanislav,

you're right we envision the replicator use case to have a single producer
with offsets per partition (I am reading your post thinking about
partitions rather than topics).

If a regular producer was to send its own records at the same time, it's
very likely that the one sending with an offset will fail because of
invalid offsets.
Same if two producers were sending with offsets, likely both would then
fail.

> Does it make sense to *lock* the topic from other producers while there
is
> one that uses offsets?

You could do that with ACL permissions if you wanted, I don't think it
needs to be mandated by changing the broker logic.

> Since we are tying the produce-with-offset request to the ACL, do we
need
> the `use_offset` field in the produce request? Maybe we make it
mandatory
> for produce requests with that ACL to have offsets.

The flag is needed to distinguish a batch with a desired base offset of 0,
from a regular batch for which offsets need to be generated.
I would not restrict a principal to only send-with-offsets (by making that
mandatory via the ACL).

Thanks
Edo & Mickael

Edoardo Comar

IBM Event Streams
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN

Stanislav Kozlovski <stanis...@confluent.io> wrote on 22/11/2018 16:17:11:

> From: Stanislav Kozlovski <stanis...@confluent.io>
> To: dev@kafka.apache.org
> Date: 22/11/2018 16:17
> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-391: Allow Producing with Offsets for
> Cluster Replication
>
> Hey Edurdo, thanks for the KIP!
>
> I have some questions, apologies if they are naive:
> Is this intended to work for a single producer use case only?
> How would it work if two producers were producing to the same topic with
> offsets?
> How would it work if two producers, one with offsets and one without
were
> producing to a topic?
> Does it make sense to *lock* the topic from other producers while there
is
> one that uses offsets?
>
> Since we are tying the produce-with-offset request to the ACL, do we
need
> the `use_offset` field in the produce request? Maybe we make it
mandatory
> for produce requests with that ACL to have offsets.
>
> Best,
> Stanislav
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 5:14 PM Edoardo Comar <eco...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > we've opened a KIP to improve data replication between Kafka clusters
:

> > INVALID URI REMOVED

u=https-3A__cwiki.apache.org_confluence_display_KAFKA_KIP-2D391-253A-2BAllow-2BProducing-2Bwith-2BOffsets-2Bfor-2BCluster-2BReplication&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

siA1ZOg&r=EzRhmSah4IHsUZVekRUIINhltZK7U0OaeRo7hgW4_tQ&m=uUj9C3BdbYz0dDNA-

E6iXreg1M5hWiWgG6ClS86VIPI&s=Vav8_-N7_OpfYEW33yGOf_or8ESMUJ4S45t2g-EUWKg&e=