Hopefully I misunderstand you....I think much of this is extreme mission creep.
 I don't think karaf is intended to be in itself a universal server including
all known enterprise style specs.  I think it's a toolkit for making it really
easy to assemble an osgi based server around the stuff you want to do.  I think
reorienting the build around the maven plugins that actually do this is
sufficient for 3.0.

thanks
david jencks