Hi Guillaume,

Thanks a lot for the update and the fix !

Regards
JB

On 05/18/2012 01:56 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
I've just committed a fix for KARAF-1475 in 2.3 branch (I'll backport
it to trunk next week).
This changes the way the ssh authentication default mechanism works to
leverage ssh agent forwarding and key based authentication.
In short, the default ssh and admin:connect command don't use the
karaf/karaf login/password authentication by default, but use the ssh
agent instead.
The default console uses an internal key which is accepted by adding
the public part in etc/authorized_keys and a local ssh agent which
will be used by default when using ssh / admin:connect command.
When connecting from the outside, one should use the ssh agent
forwarding on the client (ssh -l 8101 -A localhost), and that will
allow you to automatically connect to other karaf instances if the key
is supported too.
Basically, what this means is that the usual default (i.e. you don't
have to specify the password anyway) should work in a real environment
where the default password / key has been changed.

One thing I just realized I forgot is to enhance the bin/client script
to also use the same private key by default.
Another thing I found (and need to fix), is that the public key
authentication mechanism does not really check the association between
the key used and the user: i.e. any username can be used with any
known key, which is quite bad.  Possible enhancements also include a
way to change the "default" key which is used when starting a usual
karaf ; however, given I don't think that's much used in real
production environment, I think this is quite minor and kinda force
the user to use karaf the "right" way.  The first step before putting
karaf in prod would be to disallow the default public key and start
karaf using bin/start instead of bin/karaf.

Note that it currently rely on the 0.7.0-SNAPSHOT of sshd.

I'll fix some of the above things next week, and I then plan to start
working on role based authentication on the shell somehow (one thing
we can imagine is a su/sudo mode or something similar).  I really
can't bear the confirmation that are prompted any time you want to do
something with bundles anymore, so I think it's time for something
more powerful and flexible.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbono...@apache.org