I am also focusing on ease of use and you are right ease of use is a key enabler for success of Karaf. So how about having the default private key but having it disabled by default.

For example we could have a hash before the key in the keys.properties or have a switch in config.properties that is turned off by default.
So it is really easy to enable the feature but still the default is secure.

About the integration with the OS ssh I am also not sure if it is good or not. In some cases it may be wanted in others not.

Christian