Just to understand your issue, the kar deployer behavior is quite the same:
- you put the kar file in the deploy folder
- the kar is uncompress (previously it was uncompress in local-repo, now it's uncompress in system repo)
- all features contained in the kar are automatically installed
- now, if you remove the kar file, the kar deployer is able to uninstall all features and remove the kar file

So, even if the storage changed from local-repo to system, the behavior is the same.

Do you use directly the kar deployer (by code I mean) ?

Regards
JB