It seems like feature definitions are at a point to where they are evolving at
a different pace than the Karaf core.  Specifically WRT 3rd party APIs.

Would it be possible/make sense to create a separate project that individuals
could contribute new or updated feature definitions?

A similar model as the PAX composite or profile repository.

Taking it a step further, if the Karaf core project could be decoupled from the
feature definitions it might be possible to offer a more current feature set
without cutting a new Karaf release.

Thoughts?