2013/12/5 Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>

> Good idea to look into alternatives to blueprint.
>
> The big advantage I see for DS is that it is very light weight. I am not
> so sure about its long term future though.
> I personally think the future of OSGi dependency injection is CDI like
> pax-cdi + weld or openwebbeans.
> Of course this is not really near term and far from being a sure bet.
> Still I think if we switch the DI framework we should
> also at least experiment with CDI. I am currently working on a karaf
> tutorial for CDI. The service injections already work very well.
> I am now looking into jpa support.

I disagree.  CDI will have the same problems as blueprint, it's an
application level injection framework, not focused *primarily* on OSGi.
The lifecycle of CDI beans has to be static, so you have to use proxies.
 Blueprint has the exact same problem where the beans lifecycle is bound to
the lifecycle of the container.    On the opposite, DS has a better
lifecycle mechanism for beans which can naturally handle the OSGi dynamism.

And CDI would be even more heavyweight than blueprint, so I'd rather stick
with blueprint than switching to CDI, even if it were ready.
The real benefit of DS is that it has been designed to handle the OSGi
dynamism, so it does less, but it does it better.