A while back we discussed about migration from Blueprint to SCR and we
all agreed that it was a nice thing to do.
The question is how to do it, without making maintenance hard and also
without taking ages to deliver this new feature.

I think that this should be done in 3 steps:

i) Migrate from Blueprint to SCR.
ii) Define features for "Aries Blueprint"
iii) Make Blueprint Optional.

The first step could be done as part of a Karaf 3.1.0 release. Since
all changes are internal and the only thing that would be required is
to install SCR by default, it doesn't have to be a major release (in
fact it could even be a micro release). The benefit of this approach
is that we will not have to maintain an other branch that would
require extra maintenance, until we are ready for step (ii).

Once we have SCR in our Karaf 3 branch, we can define features for
aries blueprint and wait for the rest of the projects of the eco
system to pickup those features, were necessary.

When camel, cxf, activemq have picked up the changes in our features
and have performed a release or two, we can proceed to the final step
and have Blueprint not installed by default

Thoughts?

--
Ioannis Canellos

Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com