+1

Regards
JB

I also think a 4.1.0 should be ok with the current status.

We just need to document that some features like activemq might need the
spring or enterprise legacy repos.

Christian

Hi,

I confirm the "jline" commands are now working fine.

So, I will release 4.1.0.

As part of the 4.1.0, I would like to include examples (I have some
more in preparation that I gonna merge) in the standard distribution:

https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf/tree/DEV_GUIDE/examples

We will improve and extend the examples (and dev guide) for 4.1.1.

WDYT ?

Regards
JB

Hi all,

Guillaume fixed the shell backward compatibility this morning.

I'm testing the fix now and if it's good, I will directly do a 4.1.0
release.

Thanks !
Regards
JB

A quick new update related to the first Karaf 4.1.x release.

1. Jenkins build
I fixed the Jenkins jobs for both master and karaf-4.0.x:

https://builds.apache.org/view/K/view/Karaf/

I also removed the job for karaf-3.0.x.

The build are now fully OK, including itests.
It's important to keep this build clean. I encourage you to check the
result of the build after your commits. If you have any doubt before
committing, we still have the PR validation job. So, you can create a
pull request that will be validated by Jenkins. Then, you can merge
your
PR branch.

2. Shell command issue
Several projects providing shell commands (like Camel, ActiveMQ, ...)
directly use jline dependency. It's pretty bad (they should use the
Karaf "wrapper), and, as Karaf 4.1.x now uses JLine 3.x, those commands
don't work in Karaf 4.1.x.
Here, we have two solutions:
2.1. We create the jline "2.x" compliant packages in Karaf (in a bundle
as part of the shell-compat feature for instance). It's only a
workaround but should fix the issue.
2.2. jline 3.x can provide a "compat" bundle with the jline 2.x
packages
name, wrapping the jline 3.x ones. It's probably the most elegant
solution, but it's require a new jline 3.x release.

3. Version & Schedule
Basically, I planned to release 4.1.0-M1 version today, as shell
command
"break" is pretty bad. I'm postponing the decision to tomorrow evening.
I plan to discuss with Guillaume tomorrow about the jline 3 and shell
commands issue. If we can find a good solution, and release jline 3.1.3
tomorrow, then, I will release Karaf 4.1.0 tomorrow evening.
If it's more complex and requires more time, then, I will release
4.1.0-M1 tomorrow evening, the 4.1.0 (GA) will be released 3 weeks
later, giving time for us to fix the jline/command issue.

Thanks !
Regards
JB

Hi all,

the problem is clearly an incompatible version of jline (resulting of
the update we did in Karaf 4.1.x). It breaks other projects which are
using directly jline (for completer for instance).

So, the other projects should be refactored (camel, activemq, ...) to
not relay on jline but Karaf (for the completer for instance).

Anyway, it means that Karaf 4.1.0 is not yet ready to support any
other
projects.

So, I'm going to 4.1.0-M1 first and we will invite maximum of
people to
test on this milestone in order to clearly identify the breaking
changes
and provide max backward compatibility when possible.

I already changed the version in Jira and I will cut 4.1.0-M1 later
today.

Regards
JB

Hi guys,

as you might know, I'm preparing the Karaf 4.1.0 release.

We are mostly ok, but during my tests, I found that Camel (at least
2.18.1) commands are not available in the shell.

I suspect because they use the "old" style.

I also see lot of small annoying behaviors in the shell console (on
completion especially).

So, even we are mostly ready, I'm not sure it's fully ready for
production.

Instead of directly releasing Karaf 4.1.0, I propose to release
4.1.0-M1
as a tech preview. I would allow people to review and test
4.1.0-M1 but
give a good message that's a tech preview.

WDYT ?

Regards
JB

Hi guys,

I started the updates and fixes for Karaf 4.1.0.

As dependencies, we will need Pax Exam 4.10.0 and Pax Web 6.0.1.
Achim
and I will tackle this as it's pre-requisite for 4.1.0.

I plan to create karaf-4.1.x branch next week for a release the
following week.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Regards