Hi guys,

For some months now, Romain and I worked on a PoC named Winegrower.

Winegrower provides three modules:

1. a Java runtime with OSGi programming model with a flat/single classloader.

2. Winegrower "Cepages" are extensions (similar to spring-boot starter) that allows you to easily add flavors to your applications running with Winegrower.

3. Java agent to add winegrower at low level and get turnkey feature like monitoring, etc.

We think Winegrower would be a great addition to Karaf for two reasons:

1. It's a first implementation about a flat/single classloader approach for OSGi. I know OSGi Alliance (and especially Ray) is thinking about that.

2. It's a great start to provide better tooling around OSGi and Karaf. The idea is to have

Just to be clear, you can develop an application and test it with Winegrower. Then, you can run the application using a simple JVM with the Winegrower Ripener or deploy in Karaf, it's up to you, depending of the use case.

The current Winegrower codebase is there:

https://github.com/jbonofre/winegrower

You can take a look on the README and the examples.

We also deployed a quick website: https://jbonofre.github.io/winegrower/

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB & Romain