My 2cts would be that log4j2 or any configuration in karaf should be
homogeneous with other config files. Since OSGi is .cfg (enriched
properties) by design, I think it is better to stick to this or something
very close *by default*.
Making the config formats heterogeneous will make your tooling
heterogeneous too or more complex at least which is not worth it in almost
all cases.

Romain Manni-Bucau