@JB- To be clear, the request is for the log4j2 config file to be in xml or
json, not supporting json or xml log formats

@Romain- I think heterogenous is a great goal— however, with complex hierarchal
configurations, the “simplicity” of properties is lost in the structure.
Default Log4j2 as properties is illegible by any UX/DX standard. As with
features, having structured format (ie xml) for complex data is more manageable.

The Developer Experience (DX) gap here is dev-on-laptop writing a simple REST
service/camel route, etc and then deploying to karaf has a very different
experience with logging. This is especially true for developers without a lot
of experience and/or are new to karaf.

My suggestion is about trying to unify the log4j2 property file so dev laptop
to running karaf has the same default and therefore the same DX.

-Matt