We can certainly consider that, Ed!
The plan is to branch for the 0.5.0 release around the end of the month.
If we can get the patch contributed before that then will be easier to make
it into the release.
After the branching we will likely be more conservative about patches
applied to the release branch in order to minimize the risk of
destabilizing it.