Thank you for the clarification.
I did understand correctly.

I think my characterization of this making Knox a delegation token factory
was slightly off - we would be more of a delegation token broker. Which is
just as inappropriate considering what I consider the charter of the Knox
Gateway.

If we are actually returning the delegation token to the client with
webhdfs calls through knox then something is broken and we need to address
that.

While your assertion that the token is returned by the services through
REST and Thrift calls is certainly true, this behavior is generally done
within the cluster firewalls or controlled access through the firewall for
trusted users/clients that would otherwise be able to authenticate via
kerberos anyway. It is a means to offload the traffic from the KDC when
there are thousands of datanodes and/or users.

In deployments of Knox where users are authenticating without the need for
kerberos or the more importantly, the restrictions of kerberos
authentication from where they are, there is no reason to leak the
delegation token to the end users.

We should be able to provide access to the same resources via proxied calls
to the backend services that you require without leaking a credential that
can be captured and replayed by anyone to spoof the original user.