Mikhail Balabanov napisał(a):
Anyway, changing the text language according to the system keyboard
 language will upset all the people that write in English on
localized OSes (like me). That's a bad idea.

That is too absolute a statement. :-) For example, I often write
texts in Bulgarian interspersed with GUI element names in English.
For me auto switching of the language when I switch keyboard layouts
is a good thing because I can avoid tuning on the "Check spelling in
all languages" option which is slower than the normal single language
spellchecking. So may be the wiser thing to propose is to make the
behavior optional (and turn it off by default if people like me are a
minority).

You assume a language change that is activated after a keyboard change. Now this will be false for all Latin-alphabet based languages and English, which means that for Spanish, which is the second-biggest language in the world, the solution won't be able to see the English text because nobody would switch the keyboard from the Spanish one.

But at the same time you're right: sometimes switching the keyboard would yield the proper behavior. Switching the layout is not sufficient in itself, and sometimes it is activated by mistake (I hate MS Word for that as on most Windows-based boxes with Polish the shortcut for keyboard change is something like Ctrl+Alt so it's easy to activate it by mistake). So this must be optional. But making too many options visible in UI is not a good idea. The best solution in this case would be to add a new setting to the current "Default language", something like "Dynamic: system keyboard-based" (with a better wording). This wouldn't clutter the dialogs, and as optional could be a good idea. We could also add another option "Guess the language on the go", based on the new language guesser. You persuaded me :)

Anyway, in your case, the easiest temporary solution would be to use some keyboard script, like activating the new keyboard and selecting the character language in OOo. Or simply make two keypresses: change the keyboard, change the language. Not a serious cognitive burden, right?

Best,
Marcin