On Wo, 2007-06-06 at 23:57 +0200, Alessandro Cattelan wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 06/06/2007 alle 23.22 +0200, Andreas Pauley ha scritto:
> >
> > Alessandro Cattelan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > does any of you know whether there are tools that allow to count words
> > > to be translated in PO files? Something like AnyCount or the analysis
> > > tool in Trados.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ale.
> > >

> > You can use pocount, it is part of the translate toolkit.
> >
> > http://translate.sourceforge.net/
> > http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/pocount
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas
>

> It doesn't seem to work as I expected on my files... I have a set of PO
> files converted into PO format from SDF and if I run pocount on them I
> get the following total result:
>
> TOTAL:
> type           strings words (source) words (translation)
> translated:    1462      19967           21182
> fuzzy:            3         18             n/a
> untranslated:     1          0             n/a
> Total:         1466      19985           21182
>
> As you can see, it seems that there are no untranslated words whereas
> most of those words have yet to be translated. I understand that pocount
> counts the words in msgid and compares that number to the words in
> msgstr. It doesn't check whether the words in msgstr are exactly the
> same as in msgid and therefore need to be translated.
>
> Am I missing something or is that the default and correct behaviour?
>
> Ale.

Hi Ale

This is the expected behaviour. To filter out translations that are
unchanged, you can try out pofilter which is also part of the translate
toolkit

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/pofilter

Pofilter provides several quality checks, and the "unchanged" test will
be interesting for what you mention above. Pofilter will filter out all
the units where the translation didn't change from the original and you
can then run pocount on that subset to measure the required work to
review / translate them.

Keep well
Friedel