Hi,

Lucian Adrian Grijincu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping I found the proper list to post this, if not, please direct
> me to that one.
>
> I'd like to know if it is possible to add a new dictionary.
>
> I checked out the latest dictionaries:
>   export CVSROOT=":pserver:anon...@anoncvs.services.openoffice.org:/cvs"
>   cvs login
>   cvs co dictionaries
>
> And saw many (33) dictionaries, but no Romanian one. I see that these
> require three kinds of functionalities: a dictionary, a hyphenator and
> a thesaurus. There is support for all of these in a separate Romanian
> extension, but I see no reason why they shouldn't be included with the
> rest.

The only reason that I know that prevents us from adding dictionaries to
the code-line (and that way to the vanilla product) is license issues.
If the dictionary provider did not add a matching open-source license we
simply can not include them.

This was one reason for introducing dictionary extensions. They can be
uploaded to the extension repository with whatever license they have.
That way all users can download them but the dictionaries license does
not affect the OOo distribution. since it is not included by default.

Thus if anyone wants us to include dictionaries by default it should by
the provider of that dictionary since only that person can legally add a
matching open-source license.

Regards,
Thomas