Whoa, whoa, whoa….

You’re conflating two things.  Codebase/product/branching and naming.  The name
has absolutely nothing to do with the questions you brought up below.  Nothing.
 There is absolutely no relationship whatsoever.

But to answer your questions, I think there is some serious confusion.  Juniper
is moving to a model where it is a primary consumer of the XYZ (to maintain
your convention) project.  The Contrail product will incorporate XYZ without
modification.  That means there is no internal fork of the XYZ codebase.  All
of our work will be done upstream in the XYZ codebase except for anything that
is part of the proprietary code of the Contrail product.

More specifically to your five questions:

1.    There will be NO internal Contrail branch; all features added in XYZ
would wind up in the Contrail product codebase, with a caveat:

a.    The commercial Contrail product may not officially support features
upstreamed in XYZ and incorporated in the Contrail codebase until we have
tested and validated them to our own satisfaction; our product testing and
supported features for Contrail will be necessarily different from XYZ even if
the code exists in Contrail

2.    There is NO separate branch; all code will be contributed to XYZ for all
core features and open source capabilities, with a caveat:

a.    We are moving to an “open core” model where the Contrail product is 100%
open source XYZ + proprietary UI and analytics codebase that is NOT open
source, so …

b.    ALL code that we crate that is not the UI or analytics is contributed to
XYZ first and there is NO FORK OF THAT CODE BASE

3.    The TSC drives the decisions on branching of the XYZ codebase

4.    You are confused; Contrail is completely interoperable with XYZ because
it *IS* XYZ with the exception of the UI and the analytics engine; similarly
it’s our intention that XYZ deployments can be upgraded to Contrail and that
Contrail deployments could be downgraded to XYZ; this is not achievable if we
have a fork or use a different codebase

5.    No, we’re going to work closely with the community to make XYZ awesome
because we are entirely dependent on it

I’m not sure how this got confused.  Even today, with the 4.x line of code,
Juniper is predominantly operating in the open and most of the codebase is
modified in public.  There have been some wonky pieces of the build and release
system that confused this, but that’s all being re-jiggered over the next month
or so.

Juniper does not maintain a separate internal codebase for Contrail separate
from XYZ/OpenContrail and has no intention to do so; *other* than the new GUI
and analytics engine which are proprietary components to our product.

--Randy

Vice President, Technology & Strategy, Cloud Software
Juniper Networks
+1 (415) 787-2253 [Google Voice]
ASSISTANT: Stephanie Concepcion,
sconcepc...@juniper.net<mailto:sconcepc...@juniper.net>