On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Aaron Wolf <aa...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
On 05/18/2016 11:20 AM, Peter Harpending wrote:
This is mostly directed at Bryan, but I thought it was appropriate for the
 entire ML to comment.

I don't like using /p/snowdrift as the route to SnowdriftProjectR, because it introduces an unnecessary corner case. It means that when we eventually want to have /p/#Text, we have to use a smart newtype, and add a bunch of extra code that makes sure that nobody makes a project with "snowdrift" as its slug.

 Solutions:

 1. Move /p/snowdrift elsewhere, like /snowdrift
 2. Use /project/#Text rather than /p/#Text in the future.
 3. Deal with the extra code bloat.

I vote for option 1, because it's by far the cleanest. It would be really weird to have /p/snowdrift, but no /p/AnyOtherProject. If there's a special case, it should be at a top-level route, like the other special cases, e.g. /welcome,
 /dashboard, /search, etc.

I don't like any of these solutions. My opinion as dev (being a novice)
doesn't hold much weight, but I preferred the old approach of manually
putting a snowdrift project in the database and not hard-coding it. I'd
wonder whether a hard-coded MVP can easily change to a next version
where we *remove* the hard-coding and go back to the database approach.

I definitely think /project/#Text is crappy and don't want that.

I *do* want the pledging to snowdrift as a project to be effectively the
same as for any other project.

I think what you want is the way Bryan described it. It'll be /p/#text, where #text comes from a database, which will contain a "snowdrift" entry.