Patrick and me have been working on a solution upstream, both with
parts in systemd and in user-session-units. We can now start a logind
session properly for either wayland or Xorg.

the environment stuff is something that should be done -inside- of the
user session - meaning it should be done by a unit that is run by the
systemd --user daemon. Also note that hardcoding DISPLAY=:0 is
absolutely not what we want upstream, since that would mean that you
could never have a display on :1, etc.... This needs more work, a lot
more work.

Auke