On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Carsten Haitzler
<c.haitz...@samsung.com>wrote:

> On 01/22/2014 06:10 PM, Negreanu, Adrian M wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Carsten Haitzler <c.haitz...@samsung.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On 01/22/2014 05:46 PM, Negreanu, Adrian M wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ti...@rasterman.com>wrote:

>>> Also
>>> PAM,

>>> called)

>>> number
>>> area
>>>
>>>  sure - but same applies for ssh. the difference is that when i enable
>>> developer
>>> mode on my device. do some work, go to lunch with my phone and someone
>>> borrows
>>> it for 10 mins (plugs into usb and starts messing around) they can do so
>>> with no
>>> auth at all. zero. if sdb were to turn off every time a phone is
>>> unplugged
>>> we'll have insanely annoyed developers continually finding menus to turn
>>> it on
>>> and eventually deciding tizen is is more pain than anything else.
>>>
>> How about being asked for a password when the USB cable is plugged in ?
>>  For Android, you get a notification and you can choose whether you
>> enabled debug mode or not,
>> which as you say, is not safe.
>> Instead, you may be asked for a developer password and avoid digging
>> through menus.
>>  Also, I find sdbd useful when bringing up new platforms, where network
>> connectivity is not ready yet.
>>

>>  how is network connectivity not there? usb network gadget has been in
>> the kernel as long as i've been doing phone stuff (since at least 2008).
>> the kernel emulates a network usb device. you don't need wifi and other
>> network.
>>
> I think we're viewing the problem from two different point of views.
> I'm more interested in a device in the "bring-up" stage where you might
> not have OTG ready(thus no USB gadgets),
> whereas (I assume) you're interested in a device that's well after the
> "bring-up" stage.
> For the latter, when everything works fine, SDBD is indeed optional.
>

> but sing sdb uses the same usb gadget interface to advertise effectively
> what is a serial device over usb (i don't know it's details - but it must
> logically appear as some custom type/class of usb device) .. thus it has
> the same basic requirements of a kernel at this level? sure - you dont need
> userspace to CONFIGURE the usbnet device (ip address, route etc.) for sdb
> and that is indeed simpler at this stage - but at the usb/kernel level
> isn't it basically the same?

True, the ADB/SDB driver is a serial usb gadget. I assumed that you were
talking to plugin in an ethernet-over-usb dongle
into the phone, but that obviously wasn't the case.

I dug up some more to see why my device wasn't found as an usb0 device and
it turned out I didn't specified
"rndis" in usb_mode/usb0/functions (my bad).

>> as for password - ask on the device screen?
>>
> Yup, on the device screen. This means that when I'm not in graphical
> run-level, I can use SDBD w/o being asked for
> a password.
>

> i suspect that woould become most infuriating to have to enter it every
> time on the phone rather than via the far more useful keyboard i have in
> front of me right now ... :)

true. considering "i can has" network in the bring-up stage, this isn't
needed anymore
Though, there is one more use case for sdb: forwarding unix sockets onto
the workstation.

--
Adrian Marius Negreanu
Intel Open Source Technology Center