Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Dienstag, 31. Dezember 2019 um 21:44 schrieben Sie:

> [...]so what is the best way to become a contributor/committer?

I suggest you start reading through the following docs:

> A committer is a developer that was given write access to the code
> repository and has a signed Contributor License Agreement (CLA) on
> file. They have an apache.org mail address.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#committers

https://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
https://community.apache.org/contributors/

The following covers what needs to be done for releases:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html

Some parts have already been automated using "release_*.sh"-scripts in
the root of the project, I think up to the point on which releases
where tagged, build and uploaded to the following staging repo:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/logging/log4cxx

After that point, if I remember correctly, people need to vote on the
release, it needs to be moved to the release-repo "somehow" and your
keys used to sign the release should have been added to the keys of
the release-repo BEFOREHAND.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--