> On Jan 12, 2020, at 2:00 AM, Thorsten Schöning <tschoen...@am-soft.de> wrote:
>
> Guten Tag Stephen Webb,
> am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2020 um 07:38 schrieben Sie:
>
>> Could you tell us why the vote did not happen on these occasions?
>
> Because things stopped at the point before for mostly two reasons: The
> first is there were still some open organisational questions to me
> like is distributing to dist-dev the proper thing to do for voting,
> who moves things to the official dist-repo in case of success, who
> adds my signing keys used for the release there and stuff like that.

If those were issues I would have hoped you would have asked prior to this.
1. The artifacts to be released need to be voted on. The ASF doesn’t require
they be uploaded to dist-dev but, by convention, that is how Logging Services
has been doing it.
2. Only PMC members have commit privs to the list repo, so you would need
assistance from one of us for that. But that should be a final step in the
release process.
3. Again, a PMC member can add your signing key. That can be done at any time,
even now.

> The second was some technical things, like which files should the
> release contain, some version numbering issues etc. I simply tried to
> keep things as they were in older releases, but other opinions have
> occured etc. In my opinion any changes to what a release contains
> should simply be ignored in the first place and provided at most what
> has been provided in the past. I'm somewhat sure that my current
> scripts provide that.

Since it has been so long since the last release I would suggest that whatever
the quickest path to getting a release that can be supported be taken.
Improvements to the release process should happen with each subsequent release
after that.

Ralph