Figured it out.  Apparently when I checked out the code, I indicated that
git should convert the \n to \r\n(native line ending on Windows), which
causes the tests to fail, as the "known-good" files were subtly changed
with their line endings, which caused the (binary) comparison to fail.

Fortunately, adding a .gitattributes file fixes this issue.  I'll put that
up shortly, and then do a bigger PR with the github actions sometime soon,
hopefully with the OSX crash fixed.

-Robert Middleton