I will be honest. I have never tun any log4j tests in IntelliJ. I rarely do it
for any projects I work on. I use JVM remote debug all the time. I don’t want
to force others to have to do that, but I just never think about it.

I use various versions of Maven from time to time. 3.6.1 is the default on my
Mac but I just installed 3.8.1 to validate what I needed to change in my setup
to make it still work with my employers Nexus repository which still uses http.

When I am working on Log4J stuff I do a full mvn clean install several times a
day. That takes a huge amount of time so I have learned to multitask and work
on other stuff while builds are running.

Ralph.