https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/573 improves performance by
double digits in my testing, unfortunately it's difficult and time-consuming to
individually compare performance implications of each part of the change. I'd
appreciate review/feedback on the change. When I apply this PR and benchmark
with "-Dlog4j2.enable.direct.encoders=false" (results in
StringBuilder.toString().getBytes(charset) rather than using CharsetEncoders)
the performance in blocking mode matches logback, and async performance is much
better.

StringBuilder.toString.getBytes vs CharsetEncoder:
I have some benchmarks here which illustrate the problem:
https://github.com/carterkozak/stringbuilder-encoding-performance
The CharsetEncoder itself doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense these days
because Strings are no longer backed by char arrays, the conversion from bytes
(in String/StringBuilder) into chars for the CharBuffer over-complicates the
process. It could be feasible to add an API method to CharsetEncoder which
takes a String/StringBuilder (charsequence + instanceof?), extracts the
bytes+coder, and writes to an existing buffer without the CharBuffer
conversion, but I haven't had a chance to sketch this out.
I put together a quick and dirty hack showing a zero-gc fast-path for
StringBuilder-to-bytes conversion, however it suffers from lack of intrinsics
used in the String.getBytes(UTF_8) implementation:
https://github.com/carterkozak/stringbuilder-encoding-performance/pull/3

-ck