From what I can tell that repo could only be “owned” by a TLP named
log4j.apache.org. It doesn’t show up on the list of gitbox repos owned by any
ASF projects. I believe it is a read-only mirror tied to the sun repo. I asked
infra about it in slack and they weren’t quite sure what it is. So rather than
hunt that down and make everyone wait I created the new repo. All logging
services Git repos start with logging-.

Of course you are free to screw around and try to make something happen with
the old repo rather than just getting started.

Ralph