Hello

I have been the person cutting the 1.2.17 release and what I remember was it
was a super hard build. I had to install some VMs because there were weird
dependencies to this build. Building it fully will not be easy, but I can also
look into some mails whatever I found from that time.
Here is some build info.:
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j1/blob/trunk/INSTALL
Some unit tests only run with a Windows VM

It would be easier to remove some components, but BC is broken then.

We told people in August 2015 this is EOL. I am honestly surprised that we
discuss a new release after 7 years. To my understanding the JMSAppender issue
is not as critical (just don't configure it). If a reconfiguration of system is
not on the cards, I wonder if upgrading from 1.2.17 to 1.2.18 is.

That said i don't think we should resurrect it.

If somebody really wants to work on, I also don't think we should go through
the incubator. We can do this using the normal processes and apply patches,
vote on new committers etc.

My 2 cents.

Christian