On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Would - in this case - an 1.2.18 with a NoOp NTEventLogAppender be OK?
>
> I am sure 1.2.18 with NoOp (or even throwing NTEventLogAppender unless a
> silence system property is set)
> appender would be more than enough for 1.2.18
>
> If the appender is not used in the wild, we are ok.
> If somebody still uses the appender, they would have an opportunity to
> mention it.
> If somebody would want to resurrect NTEventLogAppender, we could add it as
> a new "module" (==separate jar file).
>
> At any point in time, users have an option to keep using 1.2.17 that they
> used for ages.

In actuality, that is not the case. When you deal with large stacks,
transitive dependencies often bring in different versions of the same
artifact from completely different branches of your dependency tree,
*especially* with low-level libraries like... logging, which is why it is
critical to provide binary compatibility.

Gary