Hi all,

Is a truly small core possible for 3.0?

What I mean by that is that I'd like to run an app with log4j without an
XML configuration, or JSON, or YAML, or the whole plugin infrastructure,
scanning, or reading a plugin metadata db. Just a properties files. And if
I can only run with just a properties file, I should be able to run only
with system properties.

With the addition in master of a separate log4j-plugins module, on top of
log4j-core, 3.0 is feeling heavier and heavier, an so complicated.

I am not an fan of inventing a whole configuration and plugin system, I'd
rather depend one even if it is copying it. It just feels like
not-invented-here syndrome.

As an aside, I have never liked that we have a jar called log4j-core but on
the web site it's called "Log4j Implementation", it's confusing.

For 3.0, it would be nice to make it obvious that what depends on java.base
be in a module called log4j-base instead of core.

Gary