If the API is a minimal core, that sounds like a bug! However, I don't think
that's quite the case, it requires that the consumer implement their own
loggers entirely. What I'm thinking about is more of an spi/implementation
separation akin to our loggers, but for transforming configuration bytes into a
log4j configuration.

-ck