I believe there is confusion here as to what level of compatibility
requirements we set at the release of 3.0.0. Some remaining changes proposed
for 3.x are technically breaking changes depending on the level of API
stability in question. Personally, I think we should demarcate what APIs are
truly stable public APIs and which ones are not, but we do a fairly good job of
that with the API module itself at least (which is not where any of the
proposed breaking changes happen to be as far as I know).

I do have experience working in codebases where backward compatibility is
demanded above all else (Jenkins mainly, though our own API here is similar),
so it’s not like I’m against it. However, I think it’s important to be
realistic about what that API compatibility guarantee is, especially if you
don’t already have some sort of stable meta-API like Linux does with system
calls (which is itself a unique implementation detail).
—
Matt Sicker