Hello everyone,

We have discussed this in the past. I hope we can pick up a decent dev speed
with Flume after we adopt it. I don't regret moving it into Logging Services,
but we have not seen any significant movement.

This message (private, please don't quote from it), on the other hand, is
significant:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/b6ndsy30j239s3fw0o2tqwm9cwmv3801

I want to call a vote to move Flume to dormant. Dormant means only it receives
the Dormant label, and we move it to the dormant tab on our main website. This
will give our users the correct information that we are *not* actively
maintaining Flume. Dormant does not mean we are dropping it. Whenever PMC
members or committers want to work on it, they can; when we see significant
movement on the sub-project, we can label it as active.

As I see it now, there is no active oversight or development. We, Logging
Services, consider this dormant. For transparency and risk assessment, we need
to be open about this status.

Please vote:

[] +1, label Flume as dormant
[] -1, don't label Flume as dormant because...

Please consider voting ONLY -1, if:

 - you are willing to reply to the message linked above within the next 72
hours with helpful information (the usual timeframe to respond)
 - AND you are willing to maintain this project in the next few months, which
means upgrading dependencies, taking care of security, and -at least-
acknowledging bug reports and responding to them
 - AND you are willing to check, validate, and vote on a new release if it
happens

I would like to highlight that we are not changing code here; to me, this is a
procedural vote. Since we need three PMC members to maintain a release, I
consider this project active if at least three PMC members commit to the above.

Kind regards
Christian

--
The Apache Software Foundation