> When I update a field, I
> want to update all of it, not just part of it. No?

Well ... might be. But the most common case for us are fields to which we
want to add data or remove. For example ACLs - you don't want to replace the
entire field w/ the document, but simply to add/remove access for certain
people/groups. Same goes for "social" fields, like tags, ratings, bookmarks
etc. - the granularity of the update is to associate/dissociate a particular
value w/ the field + doc, and not update the entire field.

Shai