>> My take on it is that if someone wants to update the catch-all field, then
>> reindexing the document may not be such a bad idea anyway. The purpose of
>> those incremental updates is to cope w/ high frequency of updates, which
>> usually happen on metadata fields, and not title.
>
> I agree.

I too agree with the general gist of this argument.

As an aside, just to add another dimension to this discussion (perhaps
now the net is cast too wide), Lucene users often want incremental
updates not because of the cost of reindexing the document inside
Lucene, but because of the cost of preparing the inputs (i.e. text
extraction) to Lucene.