> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> >  I just want to make the feature accessible and documented without
> Version.
>
> I think it is just a bug (a shoddy implementation that does not use the
> syntax,
> whether it was quoted or not, since this has been thrown away). In this
> implementation no one thought about languages that don't use whitespace
> and that it would make all queries into phrasequeries.

I am happy with your API changes that have the additional param "quoted", but
based on that we should also have the Boolean switch to preserve the old
behavior with non-CJK-or-other-non-whitespace changes. We could also add a
method to TokenStream/Analyzer that is "isTokenizingOnWhitespace" (don’t read
this seriously!).

> I really do not think this sort of code belongs inside core lucene, if you
> want
> to make uninternationalized code in your own code base that is not correct
> that is fine.

Me affects the issue not at all, I (and also Shai) use own query parsers that
do exactly that (and my code is using mixed language, preferabely English-only
with some foreign fragments) and no CJK and other stuff. So here you are
correct, I only see thousands of issues and bug reports. Because in western
European world, uses build phrases the way I said (and that is what was behind
the code you don’t like).

> Furthermore by preserving this kind of bug it makes the queryparser more
> complicated, and especially in the future. If at some point in the future you
> want to really have the QP not split on whitespace (as you yourself said on
> the issue you want) to enable support for multi-word synonyms and "real" n-
> grams at querytime, I hope you understand this buggy code conflicts and
> complicates this later goal.

In 3.1 we dont remove QP from core, so lets fix it there. In 4.0 we can
possibly have a totally new QP with no backwards at all, so no problem. As
Earwin noted in another reply: His comment is the way QP should work, but this
is hard to do with analyzers in front (I would have some ideas). But then we
must do it without crappy javacc or jflex and with Analyzer only + some
self-coded stuff only.

Let's drink some beer and think about it (too bad that I am out of Czech now).
Possibly at Berlin! :-)

Uwe