While preparing material for
http://blog.sematext.com/2010/06/02/lucene-digest-may-2010-3/ I came across
something that looks relevant:

...where the author wrote this:

"In conclusion, this directory attempts to marry the rich search-based
query language of Lucene with the distributed fault-tolerant database
that is Cassandra. By delegating the responsibilities of replication,
durability and elasticity to the directory, we free the layers above
from such non-functional concerns. Our hope is that users will choose to make
their large-scale indices instantly scalable by seamlessly
migrating them to this type of directory (using
Directory#copyTo(Directory))."
 Otis
----