: > : faster.  And there are a ton of features that would make our lives as
: > : developers easier (and that can improve the quality of Lucene 5 when
: > : it is eventually released).
: >
: > Examples please?

: The ability to specify default methods on interfaces.

So far, that's the only concrete example of seen of the stated motivation
for this proposal.  It doesn't strike me as a Game Changing langauge
feature worthy of making the jump -- Not stacked up against the concerns
expressed by several people about alienating existing users.

I'm not opposed to moving to Java8, i'm just opposed to doing it w/o
more compelling reasons.

-1 ... unless/until there are more examples of: a) how moving to
java 8 will make our lives easier; b) how java 8 will improve the quality
of Lucene.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/