@Ryan: Yes, I'm clear that you're talking about trunk/5.0
The point remains though that once trunk starts down that
path keeping the branches in synch becomes harder. Does
the ease in development (alleged) with Java8 balance well
against dealing with that divergence? Maybe so, but let's
consider it carefully. It may be worth it, I'd just like a
better understanding of _why_ it would be worth it.

@Robert:

bq: You cannot say this. Users of lucene are API users, and supporting
these language changes well are important.

Why pray tell? I'm quite willing to agree that helping the developers
who actually contribute code is important. That said, all I've heard
so far is that Java 8 has some stuff that's cool. I'm also perfectly
willing to concede that as far as committing is concerned I'm
quite light-weight. If you can make an argument that
the heavy-weight committer's lives would be made easier by
moving to Java 8 I'm all for it.

However, that case hasn't been made yet. One example has been
"The ability to specify default methods on interfaces". Which
has already been identified as something that's inconvenient
currently, but we can cope. Seems a rather weak reason to
move to Java 8.

Nit pick all you like, but I'd appreciate it if you'd actually read
the whole thing and reply to the overall sentiment as opposed
to cherry picking a single statement and use it
to obviate the entire thing.

In particular I resent you pulling a single statement out of my
comments and ignoring the rest. Please stop that crap.

Quoting myself:
bq: All _that_ said, I agree we have to move forward at some point. I'm
not convinced now's the time as far as Java 8 is concerned though. I
could get convinced if there were benefits like the above. But so far
nobody has presented anything that really lights my fire.

You completely ignored that statement and resorted to
cherry-picking without replying to that statement at all.
Nobody has enumerated the benefits to our end users.

I provided several reasons that would make it an
"easy sell" from my POV, you ignored them all. Do you
really have any compelling reasons here?

Maybe it would have been clearer to say "my users", or perhaps
"the people I deal with who want a solution, not a playground for
developers".

The point remains that the end user users who are _not_ developers
of  Lucene/Solr are our "customers". Otherwise we're all just playing
with ourselves.

I'm perfectly willing to agree that serving the
developers with an easier-to-maintain, faster innovation
framework is good for "my users". I'm not willing to back down
without someone enumerating those benefits.

Yes, I'm pissed. Credit it to a long week. But please actually
respond to what I write rather than make bogus arguments.